How do I dispose of polystyrene?
Polystyrene is a type of plastic which is not commonly recycled. Most people readily recognise expanded polystyrene which is sometimes used for take-away food containers and to package white goods like microwaves. Expanded polystyrene should be placed in the waste bin.
Can you put polystyrene in the black bin?
The following can be placed in your black bin:
Polystyrene packaging. Nappies and sanitary products. Crockery, pyrex and glassware (vases and drinking glasses)
Can I put Styrofoam in recycle bin?
Myth 3: Electronics styrofoam packaging is plastic and belongs in the recycling bin. Even though it has a recycling symbol on it, polystyrene (styrofoam) can’t be recycled through the yellow lid bin system.
Which bin does polystyrene go in?
Polystyrene is a type 6 plastic and can be rigid or foamed, each with a variety of applications. Rigid polystyrene is used to make yoghurt containers, plastic cutlery, and CD cases. Most can be recycled in your kerbside recycling bin – just make sure they’re dry and free of food and liquids before you put them in.
What can I do with polystyrene?
10 ways to reuse polystyrene
- Use as drainage in the base of plant pots. …
- Create your own presentation mounts. …
- Make your own superglue. …
- Use as insulation (with caution) …
- Keep polystyrene packing materials for reuse. …
- Use as raised beds for a patio. …
- Get junk modelling with the smaller members of your family. …
- Create outdoor bunting.
Can you put polystyrene in the red bin?
Polystyrene foam should be placed into a bag before being disposed of in the red lidded garbage bin. Loose or large pieces of polystyrene may get wedged in the bin, making it difficult for the truck to empty completely.
Can I put polystyrene in my blue bin?
No paper, cardboard or polystyrene containers should be put in the recycling bin. No food can be recycled and the grease cannot be separated during the recycling process.
What can I not put in black bin?
What you can’t put in your black bin:
- Garden Waste.
- Electrical items.
- Any building waste including bricks and rubble.
- Soil and sand.
- Hazardous waste.
- Gas canisters – empty gas bottles should be returned to the original supplier or manufacturer wherever possible (the manufacturer is normally identified on the side of bottle).
What goes in black bins?
Items Accepted in the Black Bin
- Liner bags (cereal, cookies, crackers)
- Black plastic food containers, cutlery and lids.
- Hot drink cups (recycle non-black lids and sleeves)
- Cold drink cups and straws (recycle lids)
- Plastic bubble wrap.
- Laminated plastic film (stand-up pouches, snack food bags)